elderhalebanner

Monday, August 19, 2013

New Amsterdam: Week 5

Hello friends!

This week has been really good. We have a baptism coming up with Amrite this Saturday. We found her by running into her less active sister Sunita. Sunita is a member but remembered nothing the missionaries taught her. We started teaching her and she has been at church every week since and you can see a big change in her. She told us that since we have been coming and since she has started reading the Book of Mormon her husband stopped beating her, cussing at her, and even stopped gambling. Now Amrite is a pregnant single mother and her husband left her for her other sister... Yesterday she gathered everyone to come to church again. She just has a great desire to be baptized. 

Another really cool thing was we met 3 teenage kids who were very receptive. They walked over a mile to get to church on Sunday. 

The other day we visited a 65 year old member brother Frazier only to see he drove through the front of his house and knocked down the whole wall. The windshield completely crushed by the blocks. I think he forgot to put it in reverse...haha. His family was giving him a hard time and he just said "Respect me I'm a pensioner!" Elder Parisot and I went and got our work clothes and built the man a wall. It was refreshing to do some hard work. Missionary work is more draining believe it or not. 

Funny part of the week was when we went to Edinberg (which is a few miles away) and I looked down to see my pants were completely ripped! From the crotch all the way down to the toe! Just flapping in the wind. We were too far to ride back home and change so I just tied Elder Parisot's bandanna around my leg to hold my pants together. And we went and taught some great lessons. Luckily this lady was able to sew my pants while I was in Edinberg so I went back home completely modest. 

Well sorry this email is a bit short but I'd rather tell the story with pictures! Love you guys!

Love, 

Elder Hale

Amrite's family

Here is Sunita's family

Gone with the wind...

The pensioner!

the wall

No comments:

Post a Comment